"Every night, just when the dark was softest and sleep was deepest, there came a loud noise from the end of the great room. It came from the place where the loom and spindle stood, where by day the grandmother spun and the mother wove."

from "The Spindle Imp" by Alida Sims Malkus

Tuesday 3 June 2008

Silk Caps

I tried my hand at dyeing some silk caps about a week ago. I've not played with silk caps before and have been meaning to for about the last 12 months. I used the microwave dyeing method again....my microwave oven has certainly become a much more valued piece of equipment lately.

Into the Oven:

Out of the Oven:

The Spinning:

While in mad dyeing mode I threw in a fine silk thread. I want to use this as a keeper thread and I wanted the colours to compliment the handspun silk. I will ply the handspun with this:


Am hoping for a soft luxurious pure silk yarn.....perhaps for another shawl or lace scarf! Fingers crossed that it all turns out the way I envisage.


No comments: