"Every night, just when the dark was softest and sleep was deepest, there came a loud noise from the end of the great room. It came from the place where the loom and spindle stood, where by day the grandmother spun and the mother wove."

from "The Spindle Imp" by Alida Sims Malkus

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Woodlands and Dragonflies

Once upon a time I had two BEEEEEAUTIFUL crystal, enamel and brass bookmarks. About 18 months ago I lost them. I have been so sad everytime I've done any reading....I accidentally threw my beautiful bookmarks out with the rubbish....don't ask me how.

Recently, I was rifling through my craft stash looking for a bag of felt to make a "baby mobile" for a girlfriend's new, first "almost grandchild". Lo and behold at the very bottom of my stash, in a plastic bag with some forgotten books, were these!


I can't tell you how pleased I am. They shall never again leave my bedside table, unless they are in a book of course. I'm still looking for the second bag of felt...perhaps its time to do a bit of stash organising!

On another note...the knitting of my Woodland Shawl, except I'm making it a scarf, for a KAL is going quite well. I had a bit of a false start when I realised the hand dyed wool I was using didn't really do the lacy pattern justice. So I unravelled it and started again with another yarn. I was a little sceptical about how soft this Bendigo Woollen Mills 2ply classic would be when knitted but I have been very pleasantly surprised. I think it'll be very pleasing after finishing and blocking. The colour is called soft plum.



1 comment:

Sara said...

How exciting about your bookmarks- what a pleasant treat!

And Jan...your Woodland Shawl is just AMAZING!!!! I only hope mine looks half as great- really beautiful!